Handwashing certain clothes is a very important (and unavoidable) part of adulting. But it can be hard in small spaces without a fancy laundry room. So here is my fool-proof way to wash clothes in any size space. I like to wash my things that are majority silk, or my wool & cotton sweaters and blouses. It's up to you what you want to hand wash but typically if it's delicate and the label says "dry clean" (and it's not a suit jacket) I like to hand wash it.
All you need is a plastic wash basin (check, I got mine at Fred Meyer), some gentle soap (check, I love Nordstrom's delicate lavender wash), a couple of clean towels (double check), and dirty clothes (SO MUCH check).
Hand Washing How-To
1. Fill a (clean!) plastic tub with cool water and a tbs of gentle soap
2. Do any pre-treating of stains (I like Oxy-Clean spray) and then submerge the garment in the basin
3. Scrunch it around with your hands a bit to get it good and soapy without over-agitating (especially with wool--you don't want it to felt!). Give any stains a light scrubbing with your fingers or a washcloth. Let it soak for a minute or two.
4. Tip the basin and pour out the soapy water. Start refilling with clean water letting all of the leftover soap run out.
5. Swish the garment around to rinse. You can repeat the drain and rinse again if you are still seeing soap. Gently wring as much water as your hands can manage from the garment.
6. Lay out a large clean towel and lay the garment flat (Knitters will recognize this part as similar to blocking). Lay a second towel on top and roll them together to squeeze any extra water out of the garment.
7. Lay flat to dry on a drying rack, clothes line, sweater dryer, or on a towel over the bar of a hanger. If it's not too heavy at this point and it is something you usually hang you can also just hang it to dry.
The whole thing takes about 15 minutes, though I usually accumulate a few things and do them all at once.
There you have it! Let me know how you like this how-to and any suggestions for future ones-- You can also keep up with everything I'm up to on social media! xo--