Free Your Hair!
For the past 4 weeks I have embarked on an awesome hair adventure!
I get my hair done at Vain in Seattle's Belltown neighborhood, and the brilliant sorceress who does this magic is also the woman behind How To Hair Girl. Roxy writes some amazing how-to's, DIY remedies and has created ShamPHree the "no-poo" hair cleansing system. Roxy writes on her site:
Essentially the process involves "cleansing" with a mixture of Baking Soda and water on dry roots, waiting 3-5 minutes and rinsing. Then "conditioning" with Apple Cider Vinegar, water and an optional fragrance oil on the mid-strand to ends, waiting 3-5 minutes and rinsing. Check out her ShamPHree site, particularly this post for more info.
I have to say, with my oily skin and generally fine, thin hair; I was quite skeptical when I started. But after talking to Roxy I was willing to give it a try, and I am so glad I did. So here is the Beta-Tester break down:
- No longer have to wash my hair daily to cut the grease (EVEN after my daily workouts). Now I wash my hair every 3 days or so
- My hair has more body and it looks so much thicker
- Cuts my getting ready time significantly on non-wash days
- With less oil on my scalp, all of the acne I was having around my hairline has cleared up completely (side note: Adult Acne is a blight on the face of humanity)
- WAY cheaper than my previous shampoo/conditioner ($36.95 for the basic start-up kit which lasts 6 months to approximately $30 or more I spent previously every 3 months)
- Requires a pretty significant change in morning routine, and as a creature of habit this was a bit of an adjustment
- Going ShamPHree does often mean a short transition period for the hair while you find the best ratios of Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar as well as frequency for your hair
Verdict? This stuff is GREAT! I'm a huge fan of taking less time in the morning, getting better looking hair, and spending less money. She has come out with several products you can use to enhance your ShamPHree experience and there's even a particular ACV geared toward colored hair (which I love).
Have you got love for ShamPHree? Do you use another product that really makes you happy? Share it on Twitter with #BeautyBetaTester, on Facebook or in the comments!