Heya Crafty People! This week's how-to is sure to get you beach-ready and smelling sweet.
I give you Citrus Salt Scrub!
- Course sea salt (approx 2 c)
- Almond oil (or any moisturizing vegetable oil)
- Lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
- Any citrus fruit (I used an orange)
- Large bowl and spatula
- Airtight container to store the finished product (I got some cute glass canisters at Fred Meyer for under $3 each)
- Any other flavors you choose! I decided to combo the citrus with a heady french lavender to temper the sweetness, but feel free to mix and match as you choose! (You don't even necessarily have to use citrus, I just like it for summer)
First measure out 2 cups of course sea salt into a bowl
Drizzle the salt with the almond oil and stir. Use just enough to coat the salt without making it soggy. If you add too much, don't worry just add more salt to soak it up.
Then add 1/2 tsp of lemon juice and stir, similarly to the oil, make sure you haven't made it too soupy, just enough to cover the salt.
If you are adding another flavor, now is the time. I added 3 drops of Lavender essential oil and a teaspoon of lavender buds and stirred well.
Then for garnish and a little more lasting flavor, I zested an orange into the mix. Of course, these measurements are not exact, so feel free to experiment with what smells best to you!
Make sure you mix it thoroughly and then transfer it into an airtight container.
It makes a fantastic gift, especially if you pair it with the bath salts we made in December! The great thing about the scrub (and the bath salts as well) is that you can customize it to anyone's tastes. It is easy to make this organic, made from local ingredients and in any scent you can think of. I think my next flavor will be Peppermint Eucalyptus with Rosewater!