Hello Beta Testers! It is almost spring break and I CANNOT WAIT to have a little vacation this upcoming weekend on Camano Island. Don't worry, I'll bring you pictures and hopefully come up with some delightful new projects and recipes.
My first quarter in graduate school was hectic to say the least, so when I began this last term I looked for ways to make my life a little easier. One of those ways was to take a few weekends to cook up a storm and freeze your results for future days when you just can't bare to cook. Over the next few weeks I'll take you through the recipes and freezing techniques I used to freeze all of my meals. Most of them can even go straight to the oven from the freezer!
- 4c all purpose flour
- 1tbs baking powder
- 1-1/2tsp salt
- 1/2c cold unsalted butter
- 1-1/2c whole milk
- 1/2c vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2-1/2c grated cheese (I used sharp cheddar, but use whatever you like!)
1. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl
2. Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to cut the cubed butter into the flour mix until it resembles course meal
3. In a separate bowl whisk together the milk, oil and eggs
4. Combine wet mixture into the dry, stir with a spatula until it just comes together. Then fold in the grated cheese.
5. Use an ice-cream scoop or any old spoon to drop about 1/4c onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
6. Stick cookie sheet in the freezer approximately 5 hours or overnight. Once they're hard, pop them in to a labeled ziplock and store them in your freezer.
7. When you're ready to make a few, heat the oven to 375F and bake on a parchment lined cookie sheet for 20-25 minutes or until their golden brown on top--no thawing required!
These biscuits are delicious with just about anything, but especially with the chili I'll be sharing next time!
Hope you enjoy the first installment of this series! I'll be back soon with another round of freezable recipes to help make weekly food prep easier. Stay tuned for more projects and keep up with my goings on with #bettybetatester --xo